Hello to all who may eventually find my blog!

I was in Emergency Essentials in Orem, Utah, yesterday helping my daughter, Jessi, get started with being prepared.  Emergency Essentials is a great store for finding some very useful tools and supplies, so we drove over there from Provo to check out their wheat grinders.  No, I don't know anyone there and this is not an add, but I am a fan of their store and have been ordering from them for many years.  There are many wonderful companies out there to help people like me
put goods on my pantry shelf that will get me through the hard and not-so-hard times.  I hope to share many of those businesses with you as we discuss the concept of having what you need to get you through hard times.

While I was meandering through the store, I met two nice gentlemen looking at food-safe buckets.  They were trying to figure out which was the 5-gal. and which was the 6-gal.  They were actually holding a 4.25-gal bucket, and I promptly showed them the number on the bottom.  We began a dialogue on preparedness - what's good, what's not?  Do you make your own bread?  What kind of yeast do you use?  How do you store your sugar?  We talked about honey and wheat - white soft wheat vs. red hard wheat, spelt and anything else we could think of.  It was a great visit.  They said they wished I lived next door so I could share information with them all the time.

When we finished our conversation, Jessi suggested that I should start a blog.  Hmm, I thought. . . that might be kind of fun.  I've often thought of calling some of our wonderful civic organizations in my local area (and even outside of my area) to see if they were interested in having someone come and talk about "being prepared."  So why not a blog!  That's why I'm here.  I hope you will have an opportunity to share information or learn information that will help all of us to be prepared in case of emergencies.

"If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear."  It's true.  Thanks for visiting.

4 comments:

  1. Howdy Fran!!! It's been a long time. Miriam fowarded this to me and I am so excited. your blog is in my favorites now. I started doing preparedness 22 years ago and i don't regret a moment of it. My brother sister-in-law came to visit from Iran and I asked them tons of questions about how they faired during the Iran iraqi war and what they had to use food coupons for etc. Boy did I learn alot. When they saw my storage area they were surprised. To live in a land where we have so much and prepare so much. I always feel like I am never prepared enough. I can't go shopping without picking something up. I willcheck out your blog regularly. Louise ansari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Louise! Feel free to give us some ideas from up there in Maine! I'd love some ideas for cooking beans. I know the Mainers are the ones to talk to about beans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fran!!! Ahhh, the humble bean. A number of years ago I collected a bunch of bean recipes from the sisters in the Topsham Ward. Sis Alexander typed them up and we passed them out. We eat alot of Persian dishes with beans. Just had one tonight as a matter of fact. Very yummy!!! I could mail you the recipes that I have. I have gotten a few bean cook books and I look on line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Louise, thanks so much for your comments! I would love to have a recipe for at least one of your Persian dishes with beans! Or at least point me to it online. Say hi to my friends!

    ReplyDelete