Three-Month Storage

My daughter, Jessi, told me I should keep my blogs short and sweet so I don't lose you.  I'll try but . . .  It's hard.  The lds.org website is a great place to go for information on preparedness.  The 3-month plan means you have on your shelf 3 months of easy-to-fix food.  I cleaned out my kitchen pantry and put my 3-month storage right there where I would use it, rotate it, and know what was needed. Some of my favorites
come straight from COSTCO - boxes of lentil soup that come in pouches, baked beans, Stag Chili, cereals, canned chicken, cases of individual chocolate milk servings, fruit and nut bars, canned milk, and I'm still figuring out what I want to add.  You don't want to learn during a crisis what your family does not like.  So far, I can say that we love everything I've put there and we rotate it nicely! I pull out a chocolate milk more than I should :) but hey that's rotation, right?!  Let me know what you've found for your 3-month storage, I'd love to share.

Just as a heads up, it's honey season.  If you want fresh honey, now is the time to locate your local beekeeper.  Ask if they sell bulk honey, when will it be ready, and can you bring your bucket.  The prices this year will probably be about $3.50 to $3.75 per pound.  Honey stores indefinitely if you keep it clean and dry. If it crystalizes, it's still good. I use a bucket with a spout on the bottom (especially for honey) and pour my honey into jars.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Fun to find your blog - Suzanne (Alford) Sawyer here. I'm slowly turning into a food storage nut. :) When it comes to a three-month supply, I try and keep at least three months of the food we eat normally, not just easy-to-prepare or convenience foods. For my family, that means that I aim to have three months of fruits, vegetables, and meats frozen (we have canned produce and meat stored, too, but I aim for that much frozen). That's easier in the summer and early fall, of course, but it's been a good goal for us. Just curious, but how much of a supply of your non-food storage items (i.e. toothpaste, toilet paper, etc.) do you try and store? I'm trying to figure out what will be best. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanne, I am just realizing I may not have commented on your post earlier. There are some things that are worth gold to me on my storage shelf. One of those items I would not want to go without is toilet paper! I have generally about a 6-month supply. I never buy TP by the six-pack any more. It's always the huge bundles from COSTCO or the Commissary. And I have about 4 of those big bundles in storage. I keep a couple of tubes of toothpaste, but I also have a huge supply of baking soda which is a good substitute. Shampoo, I have a 6-month supply. I have enough laundry soap for at least 3 months and I want to increase that.

    ReplyDelete